Pages

5/28/11

Let The World Die

the end of living and the beginning of survival CD 2010
After being in Flagstaff for about three years I began to be discouraged because I thought that Blackfire was the only representation of Navajo punk rock. Blackfire has a unique sound that blends melodic Bad Religion influenced punk with traditional Navajo chants and sometimes even dance, but I never really got into what they do. Then people started saying good things about Let the World Die. Problem was they would be praised, and then described as a crusty-ska band. Crust and ska are two horrible genres and the idea of blending them sounds as appealing as eating piss covered shit, so I didn’t exactly go out of my way to see them live. Then I did see them and was floored. They don’t really incorporate the ska up-stroke that much and I would describe the “crust” elements as just raging hardcore. They also didn’t strike me as the apathetic wastoid types that I associate with the whole crusty thing and members are involved with the Taala Hooghan infoshop/show space/DIY community space that puts on shows in East Flagstaff. Too bad I let my own prejudices get in the way of discovering this band earlier cause when I left town these guys (and Custody Battle) were the best shit going on up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment